It is the tallest mammal in the world.
Its name comes from three languages, Greek, Arabic and Latin . It is an animal native to Africa and its peculiar color, neck and height make it impossible to go unnoticed.
Learn everything you need to know about her in this space.
Characteristics of Giraffes
- It can be between 14 and 17 feet tall approximately.
- These animals, both males and females, have small horns on their heads.
- They have 7 vertebrae in their neck . This allows them greater mobility.
- They are animals that have a lot of speed.
- They have front legs a little higher than the back ones.
- They are animals that can interact with other peaceful animals. This allows them to collaborate with each other and warn if they see a predator.
- Females of this species give birth to their young standing up, falling at a distance more or less high from the ground.
- A newborn can be about 6 feet tall.
- At the time of birth, the young are covered with a special membrane that insulates them from any bad blow.
- Their characteristic spots allow them to camouflage themselves to avoid their predators.
- They are herbivorous animals .
- They consume large amounts of water, but in turn can last several weeks, during drought, without consuming water.
- Giraffes’ tongues can be up to 18 inches long.
- They can sleep for about two hours a day.
- They generally make sounds that are not perceptible by humans. Some are strong and in some cases, similar to that of cows.
- They have muscles and hooves powerful and strong enough to defend themselves against predators.
- Its spots , like a person’s fingerprint, is unique to each animal.
- Males are usually taller than females.
- They are animals that usually walk in herds.
- They are usually territorial , but on some occasions they can change space.