It is an animal that has inhabited the earth for more than one hundred thousand million years, since the Triassic period ; They belong to the reptile family.
Turtles are animals that have a fairly hard shell, which allows them to protect themselves from predators and can live both in water and on land.
There are two types of turtles: The marine ones, which are those that inhabit the depths of the sea and the terrestrial ones.
- They have a shell on their back that is generally hard, broad and resistant.
- They are animals (tortoises) that like to sunbathe to absorb vitamin D.
- They have four legs , two front and two back.
- In the case of sea turtles , evolution has made them transform their legs into flippers to be able to swim.
- Turtle skin is very thick and rough.
- They can live up to 100 years or more.
- They are herbivorous animals although there are also some omnivorous species .
- They have the ability to last a long time without feeding.
- They are animals that are perfectly physically adaptable to any type of environment.
- Its anatomy and physiognomy , is adapted to the environment where it is.
- Sea turtles swim in deep seas and ocean currents.
- You can find sea turtles almost anywhere in the world’s oceans.
- Its behavior is based on the space and environment in which it is located.
- They are usually
- The males in the species of sea turtles , once they enter the sea, never come to the surface again.
- Female sea turtles only surface to lay their eggs.
- These marine species usually walk in groups through the marine currents.
- The tortoises sexually mature between 9 and 15 years, while aquatic do between 9 and 20 years old.
- All tortoises have their reproduction period. They do it between spring and summer.
- Once the mother lays the eggs, both in the aquatic species and in the terrestrial species, they are never visited by the mother again.