A computer network refers to the interconnection of various numbers of computer systems equipment that is achieved through various telecommunication devices as well as physical means that can be presented both wired and wirelessly.
The network of computer , also known as computer network or data communication network has a primary purpose of which is the transmission of information through data packet. This type of packet is transmitted by electrical impulses, electromagnetic waves, among other means, using a special coding for this.
That is why the system automatically translates the various processes that are generated in the different computers into a single language that can be managed throughout the world, using specific communication standards.
It is important to note that this network is not at all different from other networks or processes of a communicative nature, in this sense, they have a sender, a receiver and a message , a means by which the message is transmitted as well as a variety of codes that they are managed in order to guarantee the best possible understanding. The difference with other means of communication is that in this case, communication is generated between computers.
By being able to network a group of computers, we can thus create a communication channel between them that allows their easy development; in this sense, they also serve to share between them the access points available both for the internet and to manage the peripherals. In the same way, it facilitates the rapid handling of data and file between them without requiring the administration of external storage devices.
Types of networks
- Public network: they can be managed by anyone.
- Private network: they are the type of network that is managed by a small number of people and to be able to access it you need a password.
- Personal Area Network (PAN): is a communication network between devices or computers .
- Local Area Network (LAN): Also known as a location network. They are networks used for delimited spaces such as rooms, halls, among others.
- Virtual local area network (VLAN): it is a group of computers, with a common set of resources to share and requirements, which communicate as if they were attached to a logical division of computer networks in which all nodes they can reach the others via Broadcast at the data link layer, despite their diverse physical location.
- Campus area network (CAN): it is derived from a network connected to two or more LANs.
- Metropolitan area network (MAN): it is a network that is responsible for connecting two or more areas without leaving the immediate city limits.
- Wide Area Network (WAN): network that is responsible for covering a relatively wide geographic area.
- Storage area network (SAN): is a network responsible for connecting servers.
- Irregular network: system of cables connected through a modem that emits a signal to one or more computers.
Advantages and disadvantages of a computer network
- Interaction of a social nature.
- Video calls, telecommunications.
- Capital movement
- Electronic banking or purchasing operations.
- Data transmission.
- Transmission of audiovisual content.
- Exploration and reconnaissance of a military nature.
- Confidentiality vulnerability.
- Cyber attacks.
- Implementation of software malisioso.
- Damage to technological equipment.
Examples of computer networks
- Internal network: Two or more networks or network segments connected to devices that operate at Layer 3 (the “network” layer) of the OSI baseline model, such as a router.
- Intranet: An Intranet is a network of private computers that uses Internet technology to safely share any information or programs of the Operating System to prevent any Internet user from entering.
- Internet: set of communication networks that interconnect with each other and result in browsing through megabytes to view various websites .