A design is a preview of an object or system that is intended to be created or manufactured in the near future.
Before making or creating something, the first thing to do is imagine how it should be , what functions it should have and other characteristics, then, when the idea is a bit clear, proceed to translate it on a sheet of paper or in a program computer.
There are people who prefer to write ideas and as a second step do the layout (illustrations). The creative process behind a design can be subjective.
What is it for?
Design is very important for any industry: everything we use as tangible and intangible objects (virtual systems, Apps, Internet and others) has been designed by one or more people.
Projecting objects before creating them gives manufacturers an advantage, since all the necessary details are considered to make it useful and aesthetic, and to have the lowest possible range of errors.
The difference between an object that has been carefully designed and another that has not, is that the second may not be suitable for use by the public for which it is intended. Also, it may have a shorter life than it was designed for.
What should be taken into account?
The purpose of designing is to adopt a proposal that is really useful to the market , if it is marketed, and to adjust the prototype to the needs of the public. That is why, not only should you think about the appearance, but you should follow standards, patterns , create or improve functions and so on.
All of the above must be previously investigated and evaluated, so the design process can be somewhat complex and time-consuming. After having the prototype, the pertinent tests must be carried out to determine that it is the final version that will be launched on the market.
These are the main types of design that exist and from which you can learn through a university degree or academies.
- Interior : it is responsible for improving the spaces according to the combination of furniture, decorative objects, to make them beautiful and functional.
- Industrial : includes automotive, aeronautical, furniture, product, toys, equipment and machinery design.
- Graphic : this type of design aims to create the arts intended to promote products, concerts, create menus, business cards and other materials that can be printed, published on the web or displayed in audiovisual media.
- From UI / UX: the user experience is what a person perceives when interacting with a product or service. Usually the term is coined to the interface of a web or mobile App .
- Web : refers to all the layout and coding of a web page, without it being functional, well, that corresponds to another programmer.
- Architectural: before manufacturing a house or building, an architect must make the layout of it. Above all, an architect is hired to innovate on building designs.
- Fashion : makes clothes and accessories for all audiences.
- Advertising: unlike graphic design, this branch combines marketing with the visual elements that are created. Not only must it be determined if the design is good from a visual point of view, but it must be consistent with the product and the target audience.
- Editorial: it is the branch of graphic design that creates the layout and composition of publications such as magazines, newspapers, books or album covers.
- Corporate: designs the visual identity of a company, thereby defining the image, the type of communication and the personality of the brand.