Of these insects there are more than 4000 different species scattered throughout the world. Many of them coexist with human beings, since their habitat can be any environment conducive to their food.
There are a multiplicity of cockroaches, very reluctant to leave the places where they have become used to spending the night, among their characteristics are:
- They are prone to bacteria , spreading some diseases .
- It has 3 pairs of legs.
- They have bulging eyes and long antennae.
- They are made up of a triple segmented thorax and an abdomen structured in 10 parts.
Types of cockroaches
The best known cockroaches are:
- The American periplaneta : it measures 3 to 4 cm, is reddish brown and its wings cover its entire body.
- The Germanic blatella : measures approximately 2 cm, soft brown in color, has two dark and parallel thoracic stripes. It is known as the German cockroach.
- The blatta orientalis : similar to the American ones, it has a dark, almost black color, with short wings. If you want to prevent the diseases that they transmit, it is important to keep the spaces clean with extreme hygiene, avoiding waste and food scraps.
Cockroaches and their predators
There are many natural predators that can act effectively in homes or anywhere that requires it to achieve the extermination of cockroaches . However, the option is not very common unless local conditions allow it.
Some of these predators include parasitic wasps , which are very adept at consuming cockroaches and quickly achieve their disappearance, eradicating their contaminating bacteria .
Predators have the advantage that they avoid the use of chemicals to combat cockroaches.
Examples of animals that eat cockroaches
Within the animals that consume spoons there is a great diversity, among which are:
- Toads and frogs
These animals are carnivorous amphibians that usually live both on land and in fresh water . Their diet is very varied. They stand out because:
- Toads and frogs naturally consume cockroaches of any kind.
- These amphibians keep cockroach populations in check.
- Both species feed every two to three weeks on cockroaches.
- The beetles
Some species of beetles are roach eaters. Beetles free man from these annoying insects. They stand out because:
- Beetles are the natural predators of cockroaches.
- These invertebrates keep the planet clean of such undesirable insects.
- The birds
There are numerous birds that consume cockroaches, among them are chickens and the cockroach bird. As an example:
- Birds keep pens and chicken coops clean because they help to kill them.
- The cockroach bird has a diet based exclusively on the consumption of cockroaches.
- Ducks eat cockroaches because this allows them to hygienically preserve their habitat.
- The emerald wasp
The emerald wasp belongs to the hymenopteran species that consume cockroaches and do so by sticking their stinger into the head of the insect . For example:
- The wasps inject their venom into the cockroaches, paralyzing their limbs, this allows them to use them as containers for their larvae.
- For wasps, cockroaches are part of their daily food.
Spiders are big eaters of roaches. This insect injects its venom and then devours them. They stand out because:
- The scorpion and scorpion are the main enemies of cockroaches because they disintegrate them to consume them.
- Cute spiders are great predators of cockroaches.
- The reptiles
Other consumers of cockroaches are reptiles, such as snakes. They ingest them when:
- The snakes chase them until they devour them.
- The snakes tread on them throughout their movements, hunting them to eat them.
Lizards tend to be insectivorous, so their food consists of the consumption of insects, especially cockroaches, which are the easiest to capture. For example:
- The gecko lizard climbs up the walls and proceeds to hunt insects such as the cockroach, inside the houses.
- These animals stand out because they clean the environments when they capture the cockroaches.
- The lizards can be introduced by any terrain, which facilitates the food hunt of these insects, due to their agility and speed.
The Argentine cockroach, like other cockroaches, has a high level of calcium and very little fat. They are very fast, which stimulates the hedgehog, who chases it until it reaches it to eat it. Thus,
- The hedgehog chases cockroaches because for him it is a food that is high in protein and low in fat.
- The rats
Mice are rodent animals that like to spend the night in hidden and dark places. Regarding your diet:
- Mice are great hunters for cockroaches, which serve as food for them.
- These rodents are quick to catch insects, especially cockroaches of any size.
- The turtles
Although most turtles are vegetarian, some are omnivorous, that is, they feed on insects and invertebrate animals. Therefore:
- Turtles eat cockroaches at night and then burrow into the ground.
- Morrocoyes consume cockroaches because they have animal protein and that strengthens their diet.
Centipedes are crawling animals, who like to eat insects, including cockroaches, which they catch effortlessly, so:
- Centipedes consume cockroaches because they are easy to control, being insect killers.
- Centipedes are arthropods and through their legs they paralyze the cockroach to consume it.
- The iguanas
Iguanas are animals that move very easily, that is why they are considered great hunters of cockroaches, therefore:
- Iguanas feed on cockroaches because they are easy prey to catch.
- These animals, because they are territorial, like to eliminate insects that roam the areas where they spend the night, while serving as food.