These animals have a great power of adaptation and tend to feed without difficulty, since they extraordinarily digest these types of nutrients . In addition, those animals that eat seeds sporadically cannot be called granivores since this consumption is not usual, because they supplement their diet with roots, vegetables and fruits.
Examples of animals that eat seeds
The most prominent granivorous animals for being high consumers of seeds are classified as follows:
Among mammals it is worth mentioning:
Hamsters are granivorous animals that base their nutrition on foods made from seeds, nuts, dehydrated fruits and cereals. Thus,
- The hamster eats seeds, but they also consume fruits and vegetables to complete their diet.
- These rodents base their basic diet on sunflower, flax, and pumpkin seeds.
Gerbils are rodent animals, whose hind legs are more developed than the front ones, which allows them to make huge jumps. Their diet is based on grains and seeds. They are very selective when it comes to eating food, however, they like:
- The combination of sunflower seeds with birdseed, sesame and linseed, which is their favorite food for gerbils.
- Also consume almonds, walnuts, peanuts and quinoa.
Among the granivorous birds, the following stand out:
- The Swans
Swans are long-necked birds that swim and fly just like ducks and geese. They are capable of migrating to great heights and have rapid movement both in the air and in the water, their consumption is based on:
- These birds are assiduous seed eaters when they are on the earth’s surface.
- Swans eat sunflower seeds, he thought, and birdseed during the winter season .
- The hens
Chickens are domestic animals that are commonly raised for human consumption. They feed by pecking vegetable seeds, rich in fats that provide them with high quality proteins. Regarding it,
- Chickens eat farinaceous seeds made up of wheat, rice, corn, and oats.
- These birds also consume oily seeds, such as hemp, sunflower seeds, and flaxseed. This food contributes to their attractive plumage.
- The Ducks
Ducks are birds that spend the night in lakes and ponds, also in river beds. They tend to eat in a balanced way consuming cereals and seeds. Between them:
- Ducks love sunflower seeds, millet, and feed.
- These birds ingest seeds to acquire nutrients and preserve digestion.
Turkeys are birds that have a very different appearance between them, their diet is very varied, since they are capable of consuming seeds, walnuts, grains and other foods that serve to preserve their health and good appearance. Thus,
- Turkeys eat birdseed seeds at any time of the day.
- These birds usually consume sunflower seeds, as well as molones and watermelon.
- The quail
When it comes to feeding, quails are easy to keep, especially if they are provided with a balanced diet , which consists of:
- The quail consumes sunflower and safflower seeds.
- Quails are demanding with their meals, since if the seeds are very small or large they choose not to eat them.
- These birds when they are adults eat between 20 and 25 grams of seeds a day.
- PheasanIt is a bird that must have a special diet, since they have a varied and very selective feeding cycle. They generally seek their food through hunting. For this,
- The pheasant feeds on seeds to improve its digestion.
- You tend to consume sunflower, linseed, and birdseed seeds frequently.
- The parrot
Parrots are highly valued domestic birds in many households. Their diet consists of the consumption of seeds, among which the following stand out:
- The parrot consumes hemp, birdseed and thistle seeds.
- These birds often mix the seeds to achieve better nutrients.
- The parrot commonly ingests sesame seeds.
- The parrots
Parakeets are domestic birds that feed on a wide variety of seeds. These include:
- Parakeets consume birdseed, sunflower seeds, millet or blackberry.
- For parakeets the seeds are their usual food.
- These birds consume hemp seeds because they are rich in oils and vitamin E
- Parakeets ingest flax seeds that give life to their plumage
Macaws are birds of varied colors in their plumage. Their diet is based on corn, rice and sunflower seeds.
- Macaws supplement their nutrition with wheat, hemp and oat seeds.
- Parrots need the consumption of seeds and other nutrients to lengthen their flight.
- These birds consume seeds to have a showy and very colorful plumage.
Among the granivorous insects, it is worth mentioning:
- WeevilThe weevil is a limbless larva that generally develops within the seeds of corn, some grains, and wheat. For this,
- The weevil attacks the germ of grains for its food.
- These insects frequently consume wheat, birdseed, barley and linseed seeds.
- Drill bits
It is a pest that develops in coffee plantations, reducing the productivity of the bean. It is also known as the coffee bean.
- Drill bits consume coffee seeds throughout their existence.
The caterpillar is an insect that feeds on the seeds of plants. To obtain nutrients:
- The caterpillars feed on transgenic seeds.
- MothsMoths are insects that have the ability to infect the seeds of oats, barley, and rye. Their diet is based on:
- Consume the seeds of processed cereals and grains.