We explain that what are the examples of word processor software? A word processor is a computer program or tool that enables the creation, modification, storage and editing of text . They work essentially with text, but some processors also allow the handling of objects and images. The origin of today’s word processors comes from typewriters and the need to facilitate and automate the task of editing and creating texts.
The most immediate antecedent of word processors is the MT / ST , the “Magnetic Ribbon for the Selectric Typewriter.” It is a typewriter developed by IBM in 1964, which allowed the information written on a magnetic tape to be stored in order to later reuse the text (for writing or printing), reproduce it or correct it. This was a breakthrough since before this machine it was not possible to edit the text or store the information to make corrections: the work had to be done from scratch.
Later, in 1969 IBM introduced magnetic cards, which allowed you to store text while you were writing and then reuse or reprint it. Each card could only hold one sheet. It was not until the introduction of the floppy disk in the 1970s that up to 100 pages could be stored per floppy disk. In the eighties the first word processors for notebook computers were introduced , which had basic functions, such as moving and deleting text. One of these early word processors is WordStar, which was designed for the Osborne 1, a laptop that was released in 1981.
Currently word processors have a wide variety of tools. In general, most word processors are based on WYSIWYG, an acronym for “What you see is what you get,” which means: “What you see is what you get.” This means that what the user sees on the screen while working with the text is at the same time the printed or final result of the document. Some examples of WYSIWYG processors are CKEditor and Microsoft Office Word.
Functions of word processors
The functions and characteristics of word processors vary depending on the program and its complexity, but in general, we can find the following functions:
- Create text : write it using the computer keyboard.
- Cut or copy characters , words or fragments of the text and paste them in other places in the same text or in another text.
- Delete text : characters, words or fragments.
- Text search , either words or fragments; sometimes, processors allow a combined search with an automatic substitution of one word for another.
- Modify the font or font of the characters. That is, the style or font of each of the characters. Typically fonts are grouped under a general font name; for example: Arial, Times New Roman, Garamond, among others.
- Modify the text size and color .
- Modify the alignment (left, right, centered, or justified) or leading (the space between lines).
- Underline words with different colors, highlight them with bold or put italics.
- Add indents .
- Place text in bullets or numberings .
- Arrangement of the text in columns .
- The creation and editing of objects, tables and tables.
- Create subscripts, superscripts, headers, page numbers, and footers.
- Detect the language of a text. Some processors have built-in dictionaries in different languages.
- Check the spelling of a text: accentuation and writing of words.
- Access to a dictionary and a list or collection of synonyms.
- Print text . The processors have handling of sheet sizes, grids, etc., which allow you to control what will be printed.
- Store the text as a document so you can send it, save it on your computer, or create copies.
- Creation of hypertexts or links .
- Insertion of images and edition and design of these in some processors.
- Organization of bibliography or references.
- Handling of mathematical equations and formulas .
Word processors: Microsoft Office Word
The Microsoft Office Word is a word processor owned by Microsoft that commonly uses .doc and .docx extensions. It is one of the most used. It is part of the Microsoft Office office suite, which also includes other programs such as Microsoft Excel or Microsoft Power Point. An office package groups together a series of programs that allow you to carry out different office or school tasks.
The first version of the program was designed for MS-DOS (Microsoft’s disk operating system) in 1983. In 1989 the first version of Microsoft Word was released for the Macintosh. Later versions for Windows and Unix came out. Among the functions and features of the latest version (Microsoft Office Word 2016) are:
- Research function that allows a web search for specific information on the same platform.
- Spelling correction (accentuation and writing of words), as well as style suggestions .
- Version history that allows you to save drafts of documents to access them.
- Collaborative document creation : more than one person can access the document in real time and modify it through Office Online.
- Change control to be aware of the modifications made to the document.
- Edit files in PDF format
- Free templates for creating documents of different formats : resumes, cover letters, brochures, letterheads, business cards, reports, tickets, calendars, agendas, announcements, diplomas, invoices, receipts, memos, brochures, graphics, posters, among much others.
50 Examples of word processors:
- Ami Pro
- Apache OpenOffice Writer
- Apple writer
- Corel Word Perfect
- Final Draft
- Text Pad
- Writer pad
- Apple Pie Editor and Formatter
- Easywriter Professional
- Executive Secretary
- Google Docs
- KWord by KOffice
- Plume creator
- Leading Eadge
- LibreOffice Writer
- Lotus Word Pro
- Microsoft Office Word
- Office Open XML
- Apple Pages
- Quick word from Quick Office
- Text Wizard
- Tiny Easy Word
- Word pad
- Word star