The Scientists Recommend Adopting the Following Food Preservation methods and processing techniques:
- Sterilizing is used for preventing the spoilage of food. Food is sterilized by exposing it to a high temperature of 120°C to 126°C under pressure for 12 – 90 minutes. This is one of the best food preservation methods.
- Milk is pasteurized by heating it at 71⁰C for 15 seconds or at 62⁰C for 32 minutes. By their pasteurization process, the bacteria are killed and the taste of milk is not affected.
- Most of the bacteria are killed at very low temperatures (10 C to 50 C) for many days. Eggs, milk, vegetables, cheese, and meat are preserved by storing them at low temperatures. The food such as meat and vegetables are frozen at -10C to -18C to keep useable for weeks and months.
- Cooked food and other eatables (pickles, candies, and jams) are first heated at a high temperature that kills bacteria and then sealed in metallic containers and thus food remains safe from contamination.
- Spoilage of food (such as meat and vegetables) can be prevented by the drying process.
- Bacteria can be killed by exposing the food to radiation. In this way, food is preserved for a long time, and it becomes a healthy food for nutrition.