Hierarchy is a term that refers to the various levels or scales of subordination that exist within a group or set of people, animals or things. It is important to note that the hierarchy can be present in animals, people, ideas, laws, dignities, among many others.
To speak of hierarchy is to speak of an order that must be respected , all depending on the evaluative elements of each one. The hierarchy, therefore, assumes a descending or ascending order. The concept is usually associated with power, which is the ability to do something or the domain to command. Who occupies the highest positions of the hierarchical scale, has power over others.
Looking at it from a labor and productivity standpoint , this type of organization has been severely questioned. Indeed, in circumstances where problem solving and the contribution of ideas are critical, a hierarchical structure is of little use. This is fundamentally due to the fact that the resolution of these problems cannot be in the hands of one person, for the mere fact that he is unable to process all the information that is presented.
Thus, these types of circumstances have an economic explanation and it is the explanation of why every type of planned economy tends to fail. Companies are hierarchical organizations. In a simplified structure, the owner is the highest in the hierarchy: no one makes decisions without his consent. Behind are managers, heads of divisions and finally employees with no one in charge. These hierarchical divisions assume that those in the lower categories must obey their superiors.
- Within the military sphere there is hierarchy, that is, superior and inferior positions among the military members.
- In companies there is always a hierarchical order. These are hierarchical organizations where it must be respected from the owner or main leader . Behind are managers, heads of divisions and finally employees with no one in charge. These hierarchical divisions assume that those in the lower categories must obey their superiors.
- The ecclesiastical hierarchy refers to the organization that is in charge of establishing what the order is with regard to positions that exist within the Church. Thus, in the case of the Catholic we find that said hierarchy is made up of the following degrees: pope, cardinal, archbishop, bishop, vicar, monsignor, canon, among others.
- The military hierarchy is the one that makes clear the order and importance of the ranks that exist in the military sphere. That means that we can speak of captains, generals, lieutenants, colonel, commander, captain, ensign, noncommissioned officer, sergeant, brigade, corporal or soldier, among others.
- In the animal world hierarchy is also established, since the strongest animals are always those that survive against the weak ones that end up being food for those who are higher in the food chain.a