Open Office is the name that is commonly used for an office package that is offered through an office suite that facilitates office work, thus allowing the development of various activities in a more effective way; These tasks can vary, ranging from creating files or documents, editing or storing a variety of documents that are used regularly within an office.
This office package is free software , that is, through its source code it can be modified, redistributed and used without any impediment. In this sense, we must point out that this package has an open code so it is based on the continuous collaboration of its users.
The open office package is based on six programs which are:
- Writer: it is a word processor very similar to Microsoft Word. Among its many functions we can find that of exporting files to formats such as HTML and PDF .
- Calc: it is a spreadsheet very similar to Excel, however it offers some extra options to Microsoft and also allows you to export files to PDF.
- Draw: this is a vector graphics editor.
- Base: It is a database-based program.
- Impress: it is a program that makes presentations as in the case of power point .
- Math: it is an application that is responsible for editing and creating mathematical formulas.
This package is available in practically all the languages of the world. This data package is one of the most downloaded or downloaded worldwide since it is very good and can be purchased for free for a personal, business or organizational one.
- The main advantage over Microsoft Word is that it is completely free.
- It is easy to access and use. Although many of us have started in the world of computers with Microsoft Word, open office is not a difficult program to learn. Its actions are quite similar to those of Word so you will only need a few days of practice to grasp the thread.
- It is downloadable on any device.
- Supported formats: org allows you to import and export documents in different file formats. The default format for writing documents is the ISO Open Document standard. It is also capable of reading and recording Microsoft Office file formats. The suite has the ability to save documents in other formats, such as RTF, TXT, Microsoft Office XML, and OpenOffice.org XML. Additionally, you can export documents directly to PDF format and export presentations to Adobe Flash (SWF) format. OpenOffice.org also has the ability to import documents in “read-only” mode in the Unified Office Format, Data Interchange Format and Microsoft Works, WordPerfect, Lotus 1-2-3 formats, among others.
- Platforms: org is available for various operating systems, including Windows, Linux, Mac OS, BSD, OpenVMS, OS / 2, IRIX, Solaris, and OpenSolaris. In turn, it can run on various architectures, such as x86, x86-64, SPARC, PowerPC, IA64, among others.
- Spelling dictionaries: There are word dictionaries for spell checking, hyphenation and synonyms. Since March 2006 the Hunspell program has been used. The MySpell program was the spell checker until version 2.0.2