The geophysics is, say, the mother science of seismology. This studies the composition of the Earth and other elements, while seismology studies only seismic waves.
An earthquake occurs when two plates interact. This means that prior to this, tension accumulates between its limits, and then a displacement is generated and with it what we know as a tremor or earthquake.
In many regions there are tectonic faults that usually produce tremors regularly, so the inhabitants tend to get used to this fact and take more effective preventive measures than in other places where it is not “normal” for an earthquake to occur at any time.
Characteristics of seismology
The tools used in seismology are seismometers or seismographs, with such instruments all pertinent studies are carried out.
Based on this discipline, the scales with which earthquakes can be classified, and thus know their magnitude, have been established. The two most popular scales are:
- Richter scale: studies the energy released.
- Mercalli scale: studies the damage caused.
In each country there is an organization that conducts research and studies of earthquakes experienced on their land.
Associated with earthquakes are the terms:
- Amplification of seismic waves.
- Intraplate earthquakes.
- Magnitude scale.
- Location of epicenters.
- Plate tectonics theory.
- Wave speed.
- Seismic waves.
- The study of the propagation of seismic waves through the interior of the Earth in order to know its internal structure.
- Study the causes of tremors.
- Find mechanisms to prevent damage after earthquakes.
- Create awareness campaigns so that communities know what damages an earthquake can cause in their region.
Examples of seismology
Next, we will give a list of the data that some organizations produce after an earthquake.
- 21 km southeast of El Nula. 06-17-2020 05:49 · Depth 13.4 km. Magnitude: 3.3.
- 22 km northwest of Valencia. 06-14-2020 06:40 · Depth 19.3 km. Magnitude: 3.0.
- 46 km east of Pedernales. 06-16-2020 05:56 · Depth 40.0 km. Magnitude: 4.4.
- 18-JUN-2020 20:38:43. LAT (degrees): 60.89 LON (degrees): -49.08. Magnitude: 4.2 Depth: 22Km. KENAI ALASKA.
- 14-JUN-2020 14:43:08. LAT (degrees): 23.39. LON (degrees): 70.38. Magnitude: 5.1 Depth: 10Km. KENAI ALASKA.
- 4.2 magnitude earthquake 57 km from Anchorage, Alaska, USA · 16:38.
- 15-JUN-2020 07:18:32. LAT (degrees): -24.22. -67.25. LON (degrees): 4.5. Prof: 164. CHILE-ARGENTINA BORDER REGION.
- 3.4 magnitude earthquake 6 km from East Foothills, California, USA 17 Jun. 13:35