Memory is the storage device inside the computer where data/information/programs reside. there are two major types of memory in computers.
Types of Memory in Computer
- internal memory ( Primary Storage/ main memory)
- external memory (secondary storage)
Internal Memory (Primary Memory)
it is a set of chips located on another board close to the microprocessor.
Types of Internal Memory
there are two types of internal memory
- Random Access Memory (RAM)
- Read-Only Memory (ROM)
Random Access Memory (RAM)
- RAM refers to read and write memory
- it is also termed as primary memory
- it is temporary, and its contents are lost when the computer is turned off.
- it is the working space used by the computer to hold the program that is currently running.
Read-Only Memory (ROM)
- ROM permits you only to read data
- it is permanent which retains data even the computer is turned off.
- ROM contains the computer essential programs that are necessary to start up the machine.
Examples of ROM
External Memory (Secondary Storage)
the secondary storage or external memory is a nonvolatile memory that is external to the main memory of a computer. its contents must first be copied into primary storage (RAM). it is also called auxiliary memory. it is the cheapest and slowest form of memory.
Secondary Storage Devices
secondary storage devices are physically separated but connected directly to the motherboard through a communication cable so that the programs of data can be accessed.
- Magnetic tapes (first form of secondary storage)
- Hard Drives
- Floppy Disks
2. Optical Disks
- WORM DISK
You May Also Like: