Browser is the application or program that allows you to access web pages and browse a computer network , mainly on the Internet , either from mobile devices or personal computers.
Basically, a browser is software with a graphical interface that communicates, through an HTTP protocol (although there are currently many other types), with a web server, from which it requests a file in HTML code , which will be interpreted by the browser to be displayed on the user’s screen.
The basic function of the browser is to allow the user to view web pages and all their components: text, documents, videos, images, audios, hyperlinks, etc. Through the browser, the user can perform multiple activities: send and receive emails, access web pages and social networks, select and store their favorite pages, print documents, keep records of their activity, install applications, store information in the cloud. , etc.
In this way, the browser is a useful tool for the most varied activities of daily life, be it information, entertainment, socialization, payment of services, access to banking information, etc.
The term “navigator” is also used to indicate the person who navigates, that is, who specializes in the control of vessels, whether aquatic or underwater, as well as aircraft. It is also called a navigator.
The word browser comes from the Latin navigātor, navigatōris, which translates “the one who navigates” and thus refers to users who search through web pages .
Examples of web browsers
- Google chrome: it is a web browser developed by Google Inc., open source and totally free. It runs on various operating systems such as Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, Chrome OS, Linux, Android, and iOS. It was launched in 2008 and so far it has become the most famous on the world market.
- Mozilla Firefox: It is a free and open source web browser, created by the Mozilla corporation and the Mozilla foundation. It works on various Microsoft Windows, Linux and Mac OS operating systems. It was launched on the market in 2004.
- Apple safari: it is a free and closed source browser. Developed by Apple Inc. Works on IOS, OS W and Microsoft Windows operating systems. Its launch was in 2003.
- Internet Explorer: it is a Web browser developed by Microsoft corporation, including the Microsoft Windows operating system in all its versions. It was introduced to the market in 1995 and became the most important web browser worldwide, until it was displaced by Google Chrome in 2011.
Nowadays the different developers of Internet Explorer have not managed to keep up with the competition; however, Microsoft has been doing its best to make Explorer a priority in its strategy of action.
- Opera: it is a web browser created by the Opera software company. It is mainly compatible with Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X operating systems, however it also works, in older versions, on Linux.
Its latest version, Opera 15, uses the same engine as google chrome, and this in turn allows the same extensions available for the Google browser. It also includes an interesting novelty, what they call the “Shelf” is a reinvention of bookmarks or favorites that allows you to store pages of personal interest to read them later.